Cara Bundoran Challenge 2015 - Timings of Events
2015 – Details to follow
2014 Race Information
Friday 28th February 2014 – 5k Fun Run/Walk
Expo will open at 6.00pm
Ocean FM broadcasting live from Magh Éne College from 4.00pm to 7.00pm
Registration, chipped number and goody bag collection for the Saturday events, (10K and 10ml) will take place at Expo from 6.00pm to 9.00pm. Race staff available to offer advice etc.
This is a free event. There will be donation buckets available on the evening for anyone wishing to donate to the charities involved.
Donations from this event are exclusively for the local Bundoran NYP/Foróige project.
Registration will take place at Magh Éne College, Sportshall from 6pm
Everyone must be registered and get a number, to comply with health and safety regulations.
Spot prizes for best fancy dress on the evening
Plus 5-10 spot prizes drawn at random afterwards in hall.
No official times given but finishing line times will be called out as each person crosses the finish line.
- 7.30pm sharp for start from school car park.
Saturday 1st March – 10mile or 10k
Pre Race / Registration
Registration, number and chip collection along with goody bag collection, will be open at Magh Éne College Sportshall on Church Road, Bundoran on Friday evening February 28th from 6.00pm – 9.00pm to coincide with Expo.
Registration will also take place on Saturday morning at the same venue on race day morning, (Saturday 1st March) from 8.00am – 10.15am.
Entrants can register online until Tuesday 25th February – late entry fee of €30 applies after this date.
Participants can register on the day / €30 Fee to register on the day
Race start times
- 10AM – 10 Mile Walkers – start from outside Allingham Arms Hotel
- 11AM – 10 Mile Runners – Start from outside Allingham Arms hotel.
- 11.30AM – 10K Walkers & Runners – start from outside Grand Central Hotel, Main Street
Event Details / background
• 4th Year of the Event – The race is now in its 4th Year and had 1200 finishers last year – expecting to reach over the 1,500 this year.
• New for 2014 – We have introduced a weekend event – Friday 28th February 5K Fun Run/Walk, Saturday 10 Mile/10 K Challenge & Sunday Surf or Cycle
• 2013 over 1200 Walkers, Runners, Joggers took part
• All proceeds go to Charity – over €15,000 raised in 2013 Charities supported in the 2013 Challenge included The North West Hospice, St Vincent de Paul
Designated Charities for 2014 – Laura Lynn Foundation, The Marie Keating Foundation & NYP Bundoran
• 2014 Prize Fund of over €6,000 – Bonus prize for male and female who breaks the existing 10 mile course records. Equal prize fund for all categories.
• Course Route is very Scenic Route starting in Seaside Town of Bundoran. Flat and very fast course. Route encompasses Counties Leitrim and Donegal, with almost half the route running along the Leitrim/Donegal coastline.
• Official Goodie Bags – including Official Challenge technical Sports Top
•Official Media Partners / Sponsors for 2014 Event – Print media -Donegal Democrat & Broadcast media – Ocean FM
• Official Athletics’ partners –Tír Chonaill Athletics Club who will have a stand at the Expo.
Received permit from Athletics Ireland, our sport’s governing body and that the race is run within the guidelines the rules of the AAI.
• Juvenile Races – 3 Categories for juvenile races. All will receive a medal for taking part. Age groups Under11, 13 and 15 – these take place with registration, at the Finish Area along the sea front while the 10ml race is in progress. €2 entry fee.
• Official Expo Event held Friday 28th February – participants collect Challenge numbers, official Goodie Bags & enjoy atmosphere pre-challenge!
View course video, chat to organisers and to the local Tír Chonaill Athletic Club members.
Sponsors are given the opportunity to take a stand to promote their product / company – Expo takes place in local Magh Éne College
• Local community engagement / support
Cara Bundoran 10 Challenge receives tremendous support from the local communities in relation to Sponsorship, Marshalls, Volunteers, use of local volunteers / Magh Éne College etc.
• 2014 Sponsors include Rubex, Scholl, Kelkin, Chill Insurance, All Sports, Riverrock, Grant Thornton,Discover Bundoran
Media Sponsors: Ocean FM & Donegal Democrat
• The race will have chip timing, outstanding organisation and support plus hospitality afterwards.
Sunday 2nd March – Surf or Cycle
Cycle Check in at car park opposite the Allingham Arms Hotel from 9.30am
The Cycle starts at 10am – going from the car park.
Planned distance is to be Approx. 25 miles, (40km) going around Lough Melvin, taking in 3 Counties, Donegal, Fermanagh and Leitrim – Beautiful and very Scenic.
Helmets are compulsory and participants must provide their own bike.
Registration from 12.30pm at Turf n Surf, 6 Bayview Terrace, Bundoran
Surf starts at 2pm at Tullan Strand
Boards/Wetsuits provided, just bring your Towel & Togs!
In association with the Bundoran Surf Schools
The Cara 10 Challenge is a non-profit event with charities benefiting. Tír Chonaill athletics club is a partner in promoting and organising the event.
The accommodation providers below are offering specific packages for race participants and spectators at www.carabundoranrun.com/index.php/bundoran/accommodation
The Allingham Arms Hotel http://www.allinghamarmshotel.ieTel: 0719841075
Atlantic Apartotel www.atlanticapartotel Tel: +353 (0)7198 4120
Great Northern Hotel www.greatnorthernhotel.com Tel: 071 98 41204
Bundoran Surf Co www.bundoransurfco.com Tel: 0719841968
The Holyrood Hotel www.holyroodhotel.com Tel: 071 9841232
Alternatively, and for further related information on Bundoran please see www.discoverbundoran.com.